I’ve got something to admit guys. I’m a pasta fiend. If left to my own devices, I would devour all kinds of pasta (orecchiette, spaghetti, linguine, penne…the list never ends…) without abandon. When you’re a carb lover, it can be hard to control your cravings, right?
Well, if you’re a pasta addict like me, then this Healthy Spaghetti Squash Carbonara is the perfect solution to your carb-induced problems. Spaghetti squash is super easy to roast in the oven, and has the same texture as spaghetti or a delicate angel hair pasta – and it’s a vegetable!
The best part of this meal is that the carbonara sauce is easily made vegetarian – just omit the turkey bacon! The sauce isn’t traditional carbonara, but more of a mix between a healthier alfredo sauce and a smoky carbonara. You only need a tiny bit of cream and butter to mix with the light flavour of the spaghetti squash. I mean, don’t be afraid to go a bit heavy on the cheese though 😉
I also love this Healthy Spaghetti Squash Carbonara because it is a great freezer meal – make them ahead of time and pull them out of the freezer, defrost in the microwave for a minute or two and then heat up in the oven for dinner after a long day!
I’m obsessed with all things stuffed veggies. It’s a great way to get a full serving of vegetables and enjoy great sauces, lean proteins, delicious cheeses and whole grains, and an easy way to cook for yourself as a single person without too many leftovers. You get to choose how much you cook, how many servings…and like I said, stuffed squash and mushrooms make great freezer meals!
Will you be trying this Healthy Spaghetti Squash Carbonara recipe? I’d love to see what kind of toppings you use in your spaghetti squash – let me know and tag me on Instagram or Twitter!
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup green pepper, diced
- ¼ cup red pepper, diced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half. If they are too hard, you can microwave them whole for 1-2 minutes to soften them until they are easier to cut.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, place spaghetti squash face down after covering them in a little bit of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large frying pan on med-high heat. Cook turkey bacon for 4-5 minutes until slightly crispy. Remove from heat.
- Without wiping pan clean, add butter and melt. Add onion and garlic, sautéing for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes until liquid has released. Add red and green peppers and salt and pepper and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add cream, milk and parmesan cheese, cooking and stirring often for 5 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Remove spaghetti squash from the oven and when cool, scrape out with a fork. Add to the sauce mixture and toss.
- Put spaghetti squash carbonara back in squash shells and serve!