I’ve got something to admit guys. I’m a pasta fiend. If left to my own devices, I would devour all kinds of pasta (orecchiette, spaghetti, linguine, penne…the list never ends…) without abandon. When you’re a carb lover, it can be hard to control your cravings, right?
Well, if you’re a pasta addict like me, then this Healthy Spaghetti Squash Carbonara is the perfect solution to your carb-induced problems. Spaghetti squash is super easy to roast in the oven, and has the same texture as spaghetti or a delicate angel hair pasta – and it’s a vegetable!
The best part of this meal is that the carbonara sauce is easily made vegetarian – just omit the turkey bacon! The sauce isn’t traditional carbonara, but more of a mix between a healthier alfredo sauce and a smoky carbonara. You only need a tiny bit of cream and butter to mix with the light flavour of the spaghetti squash. I mean, don’t be afraid to go a bit heavy on the cheese though 😉
I also love this Healthy Spaghetti Squash Carbonara because it is a great freezer meal – make them ahead of time and pull them out of the freezer, defrost in the microwave for a minute or two and then heat up in the oven for dinner after a long day!
I’m obsessed with all things stuffed veggies. It’s a great way to get a full serving of vegetables and enjoy great sauces, lean proteins, delicious cheeses and whole grains, and an easy way to cook for yourself as a single person without too many leftovers. You get to choose how much you cook, how many servings…and like I said, stuffed squash and mushrooms make great freezer meals!
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup green pepper, diced
- ¼ cup red pepper, diced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half. If they are too hard, you can microwave them whole for 1-2 minutes to soften them until they are easier to cut.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, place spaghetti squash face down after covering them in a little bit of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large frying pan on med-high heat. Cook turkey bacon for 4-5 minutes until slightly crispy. Remove from heat.
- Without wiping pan clean, add butter and melt. Add onion and garlic, sautéing for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes until liquid has released. Add red and green peppers and salt and pepper and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add cream, milk and parmesan cheese, cooking and stirring often for 5 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Remove spaghetti squash from the oven and when cool, scrape out with a fork. Add to the sauce mixture and toss.
- Put spaghetti squash carbonara back in squash shells and serve!