Ahh soup. The simplicity of it.?I’ll let you in on a little secret: I make a big batch of soup at least three or four times a month. I know you’re thinking “Yeah yeah, Taylor but it’s winter. Everybody makes soup when it’s cold out!” But seriously, it’s been part of my weekly meal prep routine for almost an entire year now and isn’t stopping anytime soon.
Soups are an amazingly filling snack, especially if you’re like me and crave something salty and savoury right when you walk in the door. And let me tell you, this Creamy Asparagus, Leek and Potato Soup definitely fits the bill for my daily soup craving.?
I hate that most people’s New Years Resolutions involve some sort of cleanse. Whether it’s the juice cleanse or the no sugar, no dairy, no gluten, no meat, etc. cleanse, I feel that they can be very limiting and don’t really do a good job of encouraging people to eat healthfully and wholesomely on a long term basis. However, “souping” has been labelled by some as the new juicing. Now this is something I can get behind!?
This Creamy Asparagus, Leek and Potato Soup is comforting, delicious and a great source of fibre and green veggies. I know asparagus isn’t really in season right now and can be pricey depending on when/where you’re buying it, so if you would rather substitute another veggie with a similar texture and taste, I would highly recommend adding broccoli in its place. In fact, broccoli is a hearty vegetable that just so happens to be in season right now – I know because I just made a delicious broccoli bowl *high fives*? – and is a favourite in many cream of broccoli soups. I’d like to think of this soup as a spin on that one.
Leeks are my newly discovered favourite winter seasonal vegetable. The dark green tops are a staple in stocks and are great for your gut health, and they have a sort of sweet, savoury taste that is delicate and like a milder version of a green onion. I recently made Leek Fritters for my seasonal cooking column on HuffPost Canada Living and am seriously wondering why I have not used this vegetable more!
Are you going to give this Creamy Asparagus, Leek and Potato Soup a try? If you do be sure to tag me on Instagram and Twitter – I’d love to see what kind of “souping” you’re doing this time of year!?
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends cut off and chopped into smaller pieces (sub one head of broccoli, cut into florets if not using asparagus)
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 leek, washed and sliced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 tbsp heavy cream (or ¼ cup milk)
- In large pot, heat olive oil on med-high heat. Add onions and garlic, sautéing for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add asparagus, potato, leek, salt and pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add water and bouillon cubes, and bring mixture to a boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes, cooking until vegetables are tender. Add spinach right at the end, stirring in the mixture.
- Wait until soup has cooled a bit and then blend mixture in a blender or food processor. Pour back into the pot and stir in cream or milk.
- Garnish with fresh herbs, pistachios, seeds, sour cream, etc. and enjoy right away!