This bacon and jalapeño cheeseburger casserole is made with fusili pasta and is full of a cheesy, meat and spicy tomato sauce finished with burger toppings!
Need I say more?
I love this Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole because it is so comforting and easy to make after a long day.
Think of the comforting combination of pasta, hearty tomato sauce, cheese, and bacon…This combination already has me salivating! This dish tastes just about as good as it looks, and it super quick to make. Imagine spaghetti and meat sauce on steroids.
Cheeseburgers are one of my guiltiest pleasures, and with all the options available to customize them I thought we would add a bit of heat and smokey bacon. E
very bite of this casserole melts in your mouth and is an explosive flavour combination.
I can’t promise that it’s low on calories, but it’s definitely a treat after whatever kind of day you’ve had – good or bad.
I topped our Cheeseburger Casserole with jalapeños, red onion, tomato and bacon, but you can use just about any combination of toppings you’d like. I’ve seen some made with pickles, drizzled in mayo and ketchup just like the toppings on a real cheeseburger – the options are endless!
The jalapeño adds a bit of a kick but it can get pretty spicy.
If you’d like more of a mild dish, you can just add less jalapeño or use a tiny bit of hot sauce in place of the pepper.
Alternatively, you can just garnish with jalapeño and leave it out of the recipe otherwise.
- 2 cups cooked fusilli pasta
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 vine tomato, chopped
- ½ red onion, diced
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup grated marble cheese
- ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over med-high heat. Add ground beef, onion and garlic and cook for two minutes before seasoning with salt and pepper, and adding chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and ketchup.
- Stir in tomatoes, 1 of the chopped jalapeños, chicken/vegetable broth, and pasta. Bring to a boil before covering, reducing heat and simmering until pasta is cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook bacon in a pan or oven until crispy.
- Remove saucepan from heat and mix with cheese. Garnish with bacon, tomatoes, red onion and sliced jalapeño peppers.